APHIA II EASTERN, WORKPLACE PROGRAM
The program works to create awareness on HIV & AIDS and other Reproductive Health issues in workplaces as well as implement workplace programs with full monitoring support. It is coordinated by 5 Field coordinators and 1 Program Officer.
The program is currently working with the following groups:
- Workers in Tea Factories and Flower Farms (Embu, Meru & Timau)
- Warders and Inmates in Meru & Embu Prison
- Students and lecturers in Tertiary Institutions (Embu & Meru)
- Commercial Sex Workers (Isiolo & Meru)
- Informal worksites (Embu, Isiolo & Timau)
Objectives of the Workplace Program:
- Training of staff as peer educators, conducting management sensitizations and community outreaches to provide information on HIV & AIDS and other Reproductive Health (RH) issues.
- To develop, review and disseminate comprehensive and integrated HIV/AIDS workplace policies in the workplaces.
- Rehabilitation and enhancing re-admission to school for teen sex workers as well as linking them with OVC programs for other needs.
- Promote safer sex practices including proper condom use among older sex workers, while linking them with alternative livelihood opportunities after training.
- Provision of HIV Counseling Testing.
- Education and referral on prevention of Mother to Child Transmission, Tuberculosis Malaria and Reproductive Health /Family Planning including treatment of sexually transmitted infections.
- Psycho social support for People Living With HIV through on site counseling or referral to nearest health facilities.